Monday, August 20, 2012

Matthew 14-16

Herod wanted to kill John the Baptist, but he couldn't, so he had his niece asks for his head for her birthday. That family is all kinds of messed up.

Jesus fed five thousand men, besides women and children (Matt 14:20). That means we're not counting the women and children, right? Why not? Saying Jesus fed, like, ten thousand would certainly be more impressive than five.

Jesus walked on water. As did Peter, apparently.

Jesus told his followers a parable about how it's not what you eat that defiles you, but what you say. When Peter asked him to explain it, Jesus asked if he was stupid or something (Matt 15:16). I admit I laughed a little at that.

Some random woman asked for Jesus to heal her daughter, to which he responded "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs," (Matt 15:26), which I think was a pretty horrible thing to say to a desperate mother. He did heal her though.

And then he fed four thousand men, besides women and children.

He warned his followers about the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees, and then when his followers were confused because they didn't bring any bread, Jesus said "How is it you don't understand that I was not talking to you about bread?" (Matt 16:11) I'm always amused when Jesus seems a little snippy.

Peter said, "Hey, you're the Messiah," and Jesus replied, "Yeah, but don't tell anyone." (Matt 16:16, 20)

Then Jesus predicted his death. When Peter was like, "No way!" Jesus called him Satan. Ha. (Matt 16:23)

And that's basically it for those chapters. Not much to say about them.

3 comments:

  1. This entry made me laugh. Hard. Jesus was kind of snarky.

    Also, Herodias was the niece of Herod. I guess her mum named her after him? o.o Anyways, from what the Bible says, her mum married Herod later? I think it was her husband's brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, Herodias was Herod's sister-in-law, and it was her daughter who got the head for a present. I read that totally wrong. I tend to skim over names, but I fixed it in the entry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salome and the Dance of Seven Veils is one of my favorite Bible stories.

    I don't know why. I also like that song by Old 97s.

    ReplyDelete