Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Matthew 8-12

Not much happened in the adventures of Jesus today. He spent a lot of time gaining followers by showing off how easy it is for God to cure the diseases that He created in the first place. I have to be honest and say I find it hard to feel impressed by that. It feels akin to putting out a fire that you yourself started and expecting people to appreciate your heroism.

I didn't know that Jesus also gave the power to heal and raise the dead to his disciples. It's that easy, is it? Hmm.

I liked the part where Jesus said "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against his mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be members of his own household." (Matt 10:34-36) Reading it in context I think it means He wants people to compete over who the best follower is? Maybe?

Anyway, the Pharisees are officially plotting to kill Jesus.

There's only one thing to add to God's dos and don'ts list today, and it's a don't: "And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven." (Matt 12:31) I'm not yet to the part that supposedly says all sins are equal, so maybe my understanding of that concept is poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment